22 March, 2015

Playing Tourist

 
Sam was visiting from England, so I grabbed the opportunity to play tourist for the afternoon.
Smokey and Total enjoyed Sam's company
I figured Sam could get to see at least 5 different lakes in a short time, see some carvings, and experience the smell.  On the drive out to Lake Tarawera, we stopped off to see Lake Tikitapu and Lake Rotokakahi.

Lake Rotokakahi (Green Lake)

Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake)
Mt Tarawera, the Buried Village, and Lake Tarawera were next.  Plenty of carvings and fantastic views, then back to Rotorua, via Lake Okereka.
 
We waded in Lake Okereka for a while, but it was just nippy enough not to swim.   The urchins wanted Sam to experience the smell, so Sulphur Point was next.
Boiling mud
There was plenty of smell, and even I wrinkled my nose a litte.  Just because I live here, doesn't mean I am used to the delicate sulphur fragrance!
more boiling mud
While out at Sulphur point, I saw Ohinemutu, and realised I should show Sam some of the exquisite carvings at Tamatekapua.  There was plenty of steam as well.  It was a pity St Faith's was shut, but we can visit the Church next time Sam visits.
Steam at Ohinemutu
 It's been a while since I visited.  It was nice seeing the intricate carvings again.

Front door


More steam and hot water
 I found some yellow hiding next to a steam vent.  Love the texture.
 Can't wait to show Sam around again, perhaps do some mountain biking in the forest...

No comments:

Post a Comment