06 March, 2015

Traditions

Tom and Christine
Sadly Uncle Tom passed away this week.  My memories of my uncle Tom (Mama's cousin Thomas Krippner) revolve around music and dance. His love of the accordian, and he could make it sing. My toes just keep tapping.
Ohaupo church
Uncle Tom's funeral has reminded me how important our traditions are.   I thought it was a wonderful tribute to Tom and his family, that Tracht was worn by the whanau.

 Another tradition is filling in the grave after the service.
 I wore Tracht to the funeral to honour the Krippner family.  I haven't worn the dress of my family's homeland (Bohemia) for at least a decade. 
Sharon and Karen Krippner
The music and the dances are an important part of my history, and I need to past this on to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment