14 February, 2021

Star bread - I'm a Yeast Master

 
I was watching a Russian baker on Youtube, and she made garlic bread in the shape of a star.  
I thought I would try it with cinnamon and sugar.

Made the plain dough in the bread machine. to the first rising.  This is the standard dough I use for all my breads and buns. After kneading, I divided the dough into  4, and let it rest or 15 minutes.  I mixed together 1 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon, and softened the butter.

I rolled out 1/4 of the dough, buttered it and sprinkled the cinnamon sugar mix, and placed the layer in the baking tray.
I repeated the process until I had 3 layers of cinnamon sugar.  I rolled the 4th dough and placed on top. Squash down the outside all the way around the edges.
Using the rim of a  small bowl, I created a circle in the centre, and then cut through the layers at 12, 6, 3, and 9 o'clock.  Cutting edge wedge in half again, and inserting the knife into the circle. Pull the cut wedges towards the circle, and twist twice in opposite directions.
Squeeze the ends together and use a toothpick to separate the layers if necessary.
Repeat the process all the way around the dough layer.  Looks great.
Put aside in a warm place for the second rising. This takes about an hour.
Beat an egg, and brush over the risen dough.  Bake in oven at 190 deg Celsius for 12-15 minutes.
When golden brown, and sounds "hollow" when tapped, remove from oven.
Just for fun, I drizzled vanilla icing over the top.
Perfect for lunch with hot chocolate, and lashings of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment