04 January, 2016

Waikato River Trail - Pokaiwhenua to Arapuni


Erik and I were sans enfants today, so we explored part of the Waikato River Trail.


We unloaded the bikes at the Pokaiwhenua carpark.  The trail follows the river a little way here, and then about 5 kms next to the road.
The head wind was brutal, and very tiring.  I got ear ache from the wind.  There are rock formations that kept me interested, but I was relieved to go down the hill to Little Waipa Reserve.

Just before Little Waipa Reserve (5.5 km ride)
Out of the wind, the trail was magnificent.  Winding along next to the Waikato river, we found a picnic table for our lunch.

Erik riding up the hill I walked up
Great views along the river, and the trail has gentle ups and downs.

Hunter's maimai
The paddocks were filled with yellow dandelions, and lots of dry grass.  I really liked the lichen on the fence posts.


This was the toughest up hill, but great on the way back!
This wild flower grew along the trail.  I don't know what it is called.
There was plenty of shade, and lots of texture for inspiration.



Made it to the swing bridge at Arapuni.  11.5 km from where we started. Now we go back.
152 meters long
Plenty of pongas creating flower patterns in the green palette.  Lots of green.

The Huihuitaha wetlands are fun to ride.  The broadwalks sweep amongst the flax and raupo (bullrush).
Huihuitaha Wetlands
Huihuitaha Wetlands
Huihuitaha Wetlands
There were dragonflies keeping me company on the ride.  We shared a chocolate croissant at another picnic table on the way back to Pokaiwhenua.  My legs were getting tired, at least we had a tail wind.

There was a rowing regatta on Lake Karapiro.  Several teams were out practising.
Waikato River from Pokaiwhenua

Took us 3 and 1/2 hours to go from Pokaiwhenua carpark, Arapuni, and return. All up 23kms.  Next time I would probably park the car at Little Waipa reserve, and bike / walk from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment