22 April, 2020

Hangi in the Crockpot

Put  a layer of clean stones or marbles in the bottom of the crockpot. Add 1/2 cup of water. (The stones/marbles will support the cabbage leaves, and the water will become steam).

 Add a layer of outer cabbage leave. Put down a spice/flavour laver. Dried mixed herbs, pepper, rosemary.
Add the meat layer.  I sliced up some NZ beef topside roast.  Season the meat before putting in the crockpot. I used smoked paprika, smoked chipolte, salt and pepper.  

 Add a layer of root vegetables. Put the potato on the outside, as it cooks better there. Put the kumera in the middle. I didn't have room to put a pumpkin layer on top.
 Season with salt and pepper. Put a flavour layer on now. Kale leaves, watercress, rocket, bokchoy.
 Cover with cabbage leaves. Wet a tea towel, and put under the lid.  Cook 2 hours on High, or alternatively, 4 hours on Low. I did 4 hours on Low.  The kitchen smelled fantastic.
 After removing the tea towel, the rest of the Hangi is good to eat.  The cabbage was not soggy, just how I like it.
 Put the vegetables in their serving containers, and slice up the meat.
 The meat could be "pulled" it was beautifully cooked.
 I drained the cooking juices into a pot, added a little cornflour for thickening.  This made a tasty gravy. I cut up the cabbage and put it with the gravy. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment