06 November, 2014

Technology and us

“So you see Mum, I can learn stuff from Electronic games", Quinn tells me after school.

I think it is sad that Daycare centres have electronic devices. In the past, I have visited different daycares to pick up friends’ children for them.  These children are sitting unsupervised, in front of a screen, just pressing the same button again and again and again. When I have asked the caregivers how long they have been having screen time, their off-hand, “oh about half an hour, maybe more”, was not acceptable to me.  The Caregivers didn’t really know, and I doubt the parents have any idea how much time their child has spent in front of a screen that day, that week. I don’t think they really cared. Looking back, I am really glad my children’s daycare didn’t have screen time. They played and they explored, and discovered, and learned.

My children watch movies and play electronic games.    They can earn screen time, and screen time can be taken away.  However, the screen has never been a “baby sitter”.  I am sad and concerned that my childen’s peers just sit and stare at a screen for hours, and don’t experience life, and the incredible world around them. I always enjoy the extra urchins around after school and on the weekends.  They know they just can’t play Xbox or watch a movie, they have to play outside. Perhaps that is why they want to visit?
Quinn’s class has been selected to trial electronic devices for the rest of the year.  I am uncertain how this will improve his class’s level of learning.  Sure, they can get on the internet and do research for topics, but, I am unclear of the knowledge outcomes, and how these are going to be measured.  Copy and Pasting, and downloading, disenfranchises me from learning the knowledge, how is it going to affect the childen?  Will the excitement of discovering something new, be lost in the “copy and paste” for the assignment?
Recently Quinn achieved a Year 9 assessment for a story at school.  He is in Year 6.  What made his story “advanced” for his years.  He set the story in Italy, His characters spoke Italian phrases, as well as English. He made reference to historical figures.   Different towns and cities were described.  His teacher discovered that one of the Character names he chose, has Italian history, (Quinn didn’t know that at the time, he just made the name up, it sounded Italian). 
Even though Quinn has never been to Italy, his brain has. For the last month, Quinn has been playing an Xbox game set in 15th Century, Italy.  As a parent, I have been wondering, would Quinn have been able to learn all this from a book.  Yes, he could, but honestly, I don’t think he would have been interested.  This past month we have discussed elements from the game; Leonardo di Vinci, his inventions, the different towns, and architecture styles in Italy,  which led to other places I had visited in Europe.  These have been intense interesting conversations, and we have used the internet to explore deeper into these topics.  Yep, we used technology.
His friends also play the same game.  They were surprised when they recognised fragments from the game, when the teacher read his story out.  It didn’t occur to them to take the information off the screen.

So I have to agree Quinn, you can learn stuff from Electronic games, but I believe that the child has to want to extend the information provided on the screen, and use it in other contexts.  Quinn's new game is set in the Caribbean, and we are both learning a lot of Geography.

No comments:

Post a Comment