21 January, 2015

The Journey - Kim Thittichai

Fruits of our work today
I picked this class as it didn't need a sewing machine.  Plus, I wanted to stretch my brain a little, and get back into printing fabric. Kim is from England, a textile artist, and is fabulous.  http://www.kimthittichai.com

The morning was spent getting into the groove, and creating a journey that will provide a base for our print blocks.  Lots of fun, creating shapes with black paint.
 Once completed, we hung our work in the corridor.  Reminds me of Tapa cloth.
Another exercise, but for the other side of the brain.  Creating "doors" and flipping the black paper, for positive and negative spaces.
Glue-ing down the black cut-outs took time, and need concentration.  I managed to glue some of the reverse sides down, so it's a little different from the rest.
Hanging them on the wall allowed us all to get another perspective, and view everyone's work as a collective.
 I just love the shapes and patterns created by my class mates.
Focusing on small windows, we used the free form painting, and the geometric "door",  as our primary source for design elements that appealed, and made blocks for printing onto fabric.
A fascinating day, with lots of learning.  Some of the completed printing blocks, using "funky foam" from class mates.
Catherine's block

Madeline's block
Sophia's block

No comments:

Post a Comment