16 June, 2014

Musing in Pie Town

I feel like a new man -- I had my first shower in about 5 days, and someone had left some shampoo in the cubicle so I could even wash my hair!

We're staying at the Toaster House today. Nita who runs it used to live in the house, but built herself a new one just up the road. She's made it her mission to cater for hikers and bikers passing through -- she's in her 60's, and describes herself as a "trail angel".
 It's a free lodging house for hikers and cyclists...it has water and power, beer in the fridge and there's wifi just down the road so I can send emails to my family. Still no cellphone coverage...hopefully we'll have that in Grants in a couple of days.
 My body is tired and sore in all the expected places but everything is working well. I'm really happy with the bike and my gear setup. It's been hot, and I haven't needed any of my warmer polypro so I've got Greg to take it back with him to San Francisco.
 Pete Castelli, Gay and I are heading on in the morning.  I'm thinking of going on as far as we get, hopefully all the way to Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  Then I'll fly back to San Francisco, get cleaned up, do the shopping for my incredible wife, and the kids, and then catch the next available flight back home.

I can't really describe how amazing this adventure is. I've never done anything even remotely as insane as this. Cycling through enormous empty spaces, seeing huge elk and deer standing beside the road, camping beside the trail and then getting up at 4:30 in the morning to beat the heat, learning how to resupply at a convenience store. Every day is a new adventure. Sure, it's damned hard work, uncomfortable and painful, but the experiences will stay with me forever.
I feel incredibly lucky to be able to be out here doing this amazing adventure. So many fantastic experiences.   I miss my family terribly. So many times, I'll touch the rainbow loom bracelets the children made (which are still on my bike) and then kiss the ring my wife gave me -- I feel connected to her even though I'm in the middle of nowhere.   Thank you so much for making this possible, my darling. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment