03 July, 2016

Gina's 21


I have known Gina all her life, and that moment when she opened her eyes 21 years ago, and screamed, she has changed my life forever.
Gina has grown from the fragile small child that I used to hold in my arms, to this strong beautiful, independent woman, who is now taller than me.
 

Over the years Gina has filled my life with an amazing happiness, and I am extremely proud to say that she is my daughter.

  I took a few moments this week to reflect on my memories with Gina...
 
I remember her writing “Keep Out Quinn” on a piece of paper, and putting it on the floor outside her room, so Quinn wouldn’t crawl into her room, - he was 6 months old.
Looking at the Amenities on Offer at a Camping Ground in the South Island, and declaring, “Well, I guess they don’t do room service here”.

Gina convincing Quinn that his name was James, and convincing Tighe that Quinn was adopted.
The school holidays where Gina would spend time with her cousins.  I still have the videos and stories they wrote.  Tighe says you weren’t very good spellers.
  Gina did competitive Gymnastics for several years.  I can remember having tears in my eyes, when the Hamilton venue held it’s collective breath and watched, enthralled, while Gina performed an incredible floor routine.  It was one of those moments when the world goes quiet, time stood still, and all eyes were on Gina. She achieved a 9.9.

  At 12, in the USA, when people would enquire about her schooling, Gina said she went to College just to see their reaction; her subjects, maths, and science.
Also in the States, we drove up to a hick back country motel in Arizona, to see if there was accommodation for the night.  It was the cliché motel you see in the movies, desert out back, peeling paint, old car out front, dog scratching a flea. Perhaps I could even hear a banjo in the distant.  Gina looked at it and asked “We’re not staying at the Marriot then?.”
  John Paul College, where Gina spent her Intermediate and High School years.
Did you know that one year, at JPC, Year 9, no teacher wanted her class, - they were so disruptive and naughty.  Mrs Cooney was the only one brave enough to take them on.
  One year, Gina managed to get disqualified from the National Gymnastics Competition.  JPC still gave her a trophy, for Outstanding Performance in Gymnastics.
Gina also played hockey for JPC.  I can remember my heart in my mouth when she had to get that penalty goal in the finals.
Then your child grows up and wants a job, and get their car license. 
PaknSave in Rotorua, was lucky enough to have Gina as their checkout chick for a year, before Gina spread her wings, and moved to Hamilton to study at Waikato Uni. She couldn’t escape the supermarket fame though, and managed to achieve the status as the NZ Checker of the Year while she was at Hillcrest New World. 
 
Gina has embraced University life, and going by the number of photos that appear in social media, she had embraced life after study as well.
  Gina, I know that once you have finished your studies, you will continue to explore the World, and make new places your home.

  A few things to remember along your life’s journey:
1.     Trust yourself.  You can do it.
2.     Don’t be afraid to fail.  I owe my success to all my failures.
3.     Ignore those that say it can’t be done.  You will find a way.

Gina, your future is unknown.  Find your passion, and follow that path, there will be many twists and turns along the way.

I wish you every success in life, and hope you will be happy.
Happy Birthday my precious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment