17 October, 2019

A new adventure - off to Slovenia

 Earlier this year Qantas Airlines partnered with Qatar Airways.  This was a good thing, as I got to use my Qantas airports, and try out the Business Class of Qatar Airways.
If I take into consideration the 3 hour shuttle bus to Auckland, the 17 hour flight to Doha, 3 hour transit, and 6 hour flight to Zagreb,Croatia,  and then a 2 hour shuttle to Ljubljana,Slovenia, it's a day and half travel. Jet lag will be fun.
Cashews, almonds and pistachios with minted lime juice 
The best thing about Business class with Qatar is their anytime A la carte menu.

 My plan was to have breakfast at about my normal time, which would be about 15 hours into the flight or 9pm Qatar time.
A variety of nibbles
Afternoon tea was just the right size to get me through the first movie. Raspberry tartlet chocolate mouse, fresh berries, club sandwich, scones with jam and cream, plus a hot chocolate.
 The chair had a number of options, and I was keen to try out the lie flat later in the flight.
The Q-Suites are like mini cabins. The sliding doors make the space nice and private, and there is a do not disturb option.  It was like being the only person on board.
Appetiser - tomato, basil, mozzarella, and bread
 I decided to have my evening meal while flying over the top part of Australia.
 First course, butter nut soup with breads.
 Second course, Chicken kofta with oriental rice.
 Third Course, Fresh berries with rose water syrup - delicious
 I also ordered ice cream as well, because I could.
 The chocolate course at the end.
This is the leg room / foot rest under the TV screen. The chair would move forward so I could have my feet up during the flight. and became part of the "bed" later.  The pink socks were part of the travel pack.  The blanket was warm.
Pink socks, eye mask, moisturisers, lip balm and air plugs. I like the pink ribbon / breast cancer awareness bag.
The chair lies flat and the cabin crew made up my bed, while I got changed into my complementary pjs.  They were grey and very comfortable. I spent the rest of the flight in them. This meant my own clothes didn't smell of "airline".
The noise cancelling earphones (provided) worked amazingly, and I got 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Once awake, the crew were very keen to provide me breakfast.
My choice for breakfast - muesli and yoghurt, assorted breads and jams,  fresh fruit, and french toast.

Every now and then, the crew would pop in and ask if I would like a hot or cold towel.  I always chose hot. Refreshing, slightly scented, and nice on my face and hands.
Doha airport in Qatar is HUGE. I had 3 hours in transit and grabbed a shower in the business class lounge.
The water was hot and plenty of it. Nice toiletries, and the towels soft.
I only had a 15 minute wait for the showers in the ladies bathroom.
The water feature in the lounge made the area nice and relaxing, but it was full of people.  The wifi was unstable, and only got a few moments to chat with Erik in Slovenia before we lost contact.  I took a train to my gate, and then the passengers were put on buses to be transported to the plane.
My next flight was to Zagreb in Croatia. Nearly six hours, and I will get there at 7am local time.
City of Doha at 2am
I decided to have brunch at 3am.  

My meal was fresh fruits including Dragon fruit and melons. A lovely salad with cashews and almonds.  Hot chocolate and crunchy ginger biscuits was my preferred beverage. I managed to get 3 hours sleep.
Sunrise over Slovenia. I arrived at 7am. Zagreb airport is delightfully small, and the shuttle picked me up.  I shared the Go-opti shuttle with a couple from Kosovo. The 2 hour journey took no time at all, as we all chatted and learned about each other's countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment