18 August, 2022

Cycle Tour - Övörkhangai Province - Mongolia - Day 4 (Stage 2)

Today's stage takes us cycling 90km through the Övörkhangai Province, and then over a 2,000m above sea level range. We will then take the vans to Mongol Els, about 50km drive, to stay the night near Little Gobi. The weather has got colder, and the wind is coming straight from Siberia!

The township we travel through today, is Khujirt, I thought it was a 2 horse town, but it got larger as we wound our way through the gravel streets.
Always good to see what is in these shops. This is a mini mart.


Karaoke bar and street food

This town had another mini mart, so I popped in to see what was on the shelves. Watermelon seems to be the fruit of the day.
Khujirt was larger than expected, and has a population of about 7,000.



Going over the hill, leaving town, is an Oovo.

I think this is a marmot. There were plenty of them running around.


While I was waiting for the cyclists, I got to watch an eagle catch it's prey.

Another hill, and another Oovo.
I think these are where the animals are kept in the winter time. A semi permanent dwelling to corral the livestock.
Plenty of different types of fungi.
Another wintering over corral.

Not sure if we are going over those hills, they are certainly high.
I can hear the small rodents squeaking, but I only get to see blurs of them, as they dart from hole to hole.
"the highway"
The landscape has changed, and the hills are much more rocky.

Next stop is at the 2,000 meter above sea level range.


No comments:

Post a Comment