23 August, 2022

The Long Journey Home

 
The journey back to New Zealand is 4 hour flight to Seoul, then a 10 hour flight to Sydney, and then a 3 hour flight to Auckland. Then a 3 hour drive home! That doesn't include all the 'in transit" times. I am not looking forward to travelling with injured Erik. 

We had an early start, 5am, to drive 2 hours to the International airport. Erik was whisked away in a wheelchair, and I had to run to catch up. Interestingly, they boarded Erik nearly last. 

Immense landscapes. This visit to Mongolia was epic. So many memories. What an adventure.

The landscape is so empty. No cities or towns, just grasslands.

We had a lovely serving of Buuz (lamb dumplings) for lunch.


I made the most of the transit in Seoul. Hot shower, comfy chairs, and a quick meal in the airport lounge.

Instead of a wheelchair, we got to ride in an upmarket golf cart.  
Extremely quick way to get to our departure gate.

Erik chose the Korean menu. I slept, the past few days events had caught up with me. 

  
On arrival in Sydney, Australia, the attendants were very efficient in driving Erik off to the Air New Zealand lounge. The weird thing was, that after 11am, the Air New Zealand lounge in Sydney was empty.  Maybe just 10 people. I suspect once more flights are added, and people start to travel more, the spaces will fill up.
I had another hot shower, found a nook with cushions, and rested.  I need to be on top of my sleep, as I was going to be driving back to Rotorua in the very early hours of the morning.

I know the photo is shaken, and not focussed, but I was relieved when we flew into Auckland at 10 pm with no mishaps. Our delays weren't over though.  Border control thought Erik's bike was too dirty, so I ad to unpack it from the bike box, and give it a good clean with the border control officer. We packed it back into the box, and we were ready to find the car in the carpark, and drive the 3 hours home.


No comments:

Post a Comment